uTRAC - Frequently Asked Questions

Why is my study required to be in uTRAC?

  • All clinical research studies are required to use uTRAC. A study is clinical if it involves one or more prospective clinical procedures, services, or other items. By institutional policy, no exceptions can be made to this rule. If you have been directed to open a uTRAC application and you believe the study may qualify for an exemption, see next section.
  • Exemptions are applicable to health-related studies that include no prospective clinical items. Such studies are limited to:
a) retrospective chart review
b) registry or survey of health information
c) data coordinating centers
d) clinical research studies that have completed all study participant visits
Instructions on how to do a Self Exemption Request

How to Request a uTRAC User Account?

To acquire a uTRAC user account, please contact your Department Account Requestor (the individual who manages employee accounts i.e. CIS, Outlook etc.) to request an account.  If for some reason you are unable to locate an account requestor, please contact our office at 801-213-3601. All research staff (Principal Investigators, Clinical Research Coordinators, Research Managers, Participant Tracker, etc.) need to be given a uTRAC account.

Can I access uTRAC from outside of the Health Sciences’ network?

Yes.  However, due to PHI being stored in the system, uTRAC is hosted on a secure server on the Health Sciences' network and cannot be accessed directly from outside of the HSC network. The uTRAC system may be accessed outside of the Health Sciences network using a Virtual Private Network (VPN) account or through the use of the applications portal. If you are not employed under the Health Sciences’ or University Hospital departments you may also need to have HSC network access granted so that you may access uTRAC directly from the Health Sciences’ network or from the applications portal. Please send inquiries to utrac-support@umail.utah.edu.

How to Use the University Applications Portal?

To use the University Applications Portal first check to see if you have been granted access to the University's HSC network. If you are not employed under the Health Sciences’ or University Hospital departments you may also need to have HSC network access granted (see requesting an account). Once you have been given access to the University Applications Portal go to http://applications.med.utah.edu and login with your uNID and CIS password. After you login to the portal you may open Internet Explorer to access university sites. You will then be prompted to login to Intercomm. Once in Intercomm, look for the Clinical tab in the gray menu bar. You will find a hyper-link to uTRAC in the Clinical Research section.

How do I request a sponsor be added to the uTRAC Sponsor database?

  • If sponsor does not show in the sponsor drop down selection window in uTRAC - please fill in the form here and submit to request a sponsor be added to uTRAC sponsor database.

Is uTRAC training required?

The general Draft (pre-award) and Active (post-award) uTRAC trainings are optional and not necessary to create a uTRAC application or enroll participants.  However, if you will be responsible for completing a Medicare Coverage Analysis (MCA) for your uTRAC application (required for studies intending to bill insurance for study-related items), you are required to take the “uTRAC MCA/PBG Automation Webinar.”  If you will be responsible for reconciling your studies’ ePays, you are also required to take the “uTRAC ePay Review Webinar” before you will be provided access to this functionality.

Trainings are live webinars that you will participate in online.  You will need access to the Internet and a separate phone line.

Workshops are voluntary drop-in sessions that provide users with one to one help as they create or amend uTRAC applications, reconcile ePays, or review study charges in Epic.  

You may reveiw a schedule of the webinars and workshops here