uTRAC - Frequently Asked Questions
Why is my study required to be in uTRAC?
- All clinical research studies are required to use uTRAC. A study is clinical if it involves one or more prospective clinical procedures, services, or other items. By institutional policy, no exceptions can be made to this rule. If you have been directed to open a uTRAC application and you believe the study may qualify for an exemption, see next section.
- Exemptions are applicable to health-related studies that include no prospective clinical items. Such studies are limited to:
|a) retrospective chart review|
|b) registry or survey of health information|
|c) data coordinating centers|
|d) clinical research studies that have completed all study participant visits|
|Instructions on how to do a Self Exemption Request|
How do I request a uTRAC Account?
- To acquire a uTRAC user account please contact your Department Account Requestor to register accounts for the personnel who will be entering Clinical Research Study information into the uTRAC system (the individual who manages employee accounts i.e. CIS, Outlook etc.) if for some reason you are unable to locate an account requestor please contact our office at 801-213-3601. All research staff (Principal Investigators, Clinical Research Coordinators, Research Managers, Participant Tracker, etc.) need to be given a uTRAC account.
Can I access uTRAC from outside of the Health Sciences’ network?
- Due to PHI being stored in the system, uTRAC is hosted on a secure server on the Health Sciences' network and cannot be accessed outside of the HSC network. The uTRAC system may be accessed outside of the Health Sciences network using a VPN account or through the use of the applications portal. If you are not employed under the Health Sciences’ or University Hospital departments you may also need to have HSC (SRVR) network access granted so that you may access uTRAC directly from the Health Sciences’ network or from the applications portal. Please send inquiries to email@example.com.
- To use the University Applications Portal first check to see if you have been granted access to the University's HSC network (SRVR). If you are not employed under the Health Sciences’ or University Hospital departments you may also need to have HSC (SRVR) network access granted (see requesting an account above). Once you have been given access to the University Applications Portal go to this site http://applications.med.utah.edu and login with your uNID and CIS password. After you login to the portal you may open Internet Explorer - to access university sites. You will then be prompted to login to InterComm. Once in Intercomm look for the Clinical tab in the grey menu bar. You will find a hyperlink to uTRAC the Clinical Research section.
How do I request a sponsor be added to the uTRAC Sponsor database?
- If sponsor does not show in the sponsor drop down selection window in uTRAC - please fill in the form here and submit to request a sponsor be added to uTRAC sponsor database.
Where do I go to find further uTRAC instructions?
The uTRAC Online System may be found here.
uTRAC FAQ Continued